Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What is the real thing about Worship?

I was talking to God early this morning. I guess that was 5:30 in the morning and the sun was already up. I read Psalm 34:8-10.

I read through from verse 1 until verse 10. This is David's Praise and Worship to God but what is the real thing behind Praise and Worship? When I started my Christian faith when I was in 4th grade(I think I was 10 then) every people that I knew at the church have that Praise and Worship idea on their mind, that it was an act of singing. Singing your heart out to God and feel His presence in the place. So this is the culture that we have at our church and as a young Christian, no one taught me that Praise and Worship is more than what we thought it could be.

I love playing guitar. My previous pastor taught me how to play this very strenuous instrument. I loved violin but guitar made it through my heart. I planned of being the best guitarist girl ever in our small town but I am too shy to show everyone that I am playing so I just kept my little talent aside and let them do their own thing. Then a very good musician came and asked me if I am interested of becoming a better guitarist - doing lead guitar. Then I thought this is the moment that I've been waiting for. I can give the best Praise and Worship to God with this. I said yes to him.

The training went on and we didn't finish the entire training course 'cause we have things to attend to. In short we got busy. Then there I am again, in a state of waiting and not giving or exerting any effort to Praise and Worship. God said in Psalm 34:9(emphasis added), "Fear the LORD, you his saints, for those who fear him lack nothing. " I maybe a fearful person when it comes to everything, especially when church council is appointing you to have a new responsibility.

Ok, Fear the Lord. What does it mean? I checked out my sisters Tagalog Bible. What I've learned is that fear is related to obedience. Fear of God is not a fear like you've seen a ghost. Fear of God is like fearing someone in a higher position than you. A greater person than you. A Majestic King that is deserving of our respect, honor and obedience. When you fear God, you Obey.

So there I was sitting and still digesting what God has been telling all these years of Praising and Worshiping. My journey toward God's destination is like a funny yet very challenging. I learned many things along the way. So this one is one of those funny yet very serious Christian values that God had taught me.

Ok, setting things straight. Since I fear God and fear is equals to obeying the cultural knowledge of Praise and Worship in my head should go down 100 notches to the ocean. The singing time in our church is one of the most important thing that we have. I would like to give an emphasis on this, that singing is just ONE act of the many WORSHIP acts that we can do to the our King. Therefore, we should be seeking the real thing about PRAISE AND WORSHIP.

What is the real thing? you may ask. The real thing is you. YOURSELF. God wants you to worship Him through the way you live your life, the way you talk to other people, your relationship to your family and to your community. Your life can be a worship to God. It can give glory to His name. However, how do you live your life? Is it worth Christ dying for? do you live your life like a leaf blown and tossed by the winds.

If you want to give glory to God, then change what how you live. I love what my Pastor would always remind us. If you want change, then don't do the same stuffs all over again! and I laugh. Besides, all you have to do is to give just 1% of courage and the rest is faith. The 99% is for God.

Believe, have faith, walk on the journey that you were created for. You won't find the real essence of life if you don't follow the One who OWNS you(if you accepted Him as your Lord and Savior.)

God bless!

No comments: